Sheep Breeders Association
Maryland sheep anf goat producers, lamb and goat kid producers, sheep breeders, sheep farms, club lambs, and market lamb producers in Carroll, Frederick, Howard, Montgomery, and Washington Counties, Maryland.
Wool producers of high quality fleeces, covered fleeces, wool, roving, handspun yarn, blended yarn, custom handknits, wool blankets, and woolen clothing products in Maryland.
Maryland custom processed local lamb and goat.
Halal custom processed local lamb and goat.
Grass-fed local Maryland lamb, pasture raised Maryland lamb, and grain-fed Maryland lamb. USDA Inspected lamb. Some sheep and lambs raised on certified organic farms.
Supports 4-H sheep projects, 4-H project lambs, and young shepherds' 4-H project activities.
Improved registered sheep breeding stock, and commercial sheep breeding stock, market lambs, the fiber industry, and the wool industry in Maryland.
Farm visits, farm tours, farm sitting services.
Is a resource and provides a support base for members, and to educate the public.
December Banner Photo: Flock of bred ewes - note the orange breeding marks. If good breeding records are kept, the shepherd will know within 1 or 2 days when the ewe is due to lamb.
The Banner Photo is Changed Each Month.
FCSB Members are from several Maryland Counties -- Carroll, Frederick, Howard, Montgomery, and Washington counties. Plus, we have a few members from Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. Sheep, lamb and goat producers are welcome from all Counties.
Note: Click on the "Events" tab for more information. 2014 Events and dates will be posted by early January, 2014.
1. Sheepman Supply Open House - Saturday, February 9, 2013 - 8:00 am to 2:00 pm - complimentary pancake and sausage breakfast served 8:00 to noon - discounts on sheep, goat and livestock "stuff" and parts. Informative displays and great door prizes. The 2012-2013 FCSB Directories will be available.
2. Frederick County Ag. Week at the FSK Mall (Center Court area) in Frederick, February 18-24, with various Fiber Arts Demonstrations on Saturday, Feb. 23th., 1:00 to 5:00 pm, by Rose Woodsmall (Stonybranch Farm) and her Second Sunday Spinners. See photos in Photo Section of website.
3. Spring Membership Meeting - Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 7:00 - 9:30 pm, at the Frederick County Extension Office, Montevue Lane, Frederick. Susan Schoenian is the speaker -- lambing and kidding issues, problems, caring for lambs, kids, ewes and does -- open discussion.
Membership Meetings. Timely topics and speakers. Notices sent to the Membership and a notice in the newspaper. Anyone who raises sheep and goats - or is a new shepherd - is welcome to attend and join the Frederick County Sheep Breeders (FCSB).
4. Brunswick Co-Op Open House - Saturday, March 23, 2013 - with shearing demonstration, discount on sheep supplies, vendor displays, and food/drinks sold by the Calico Clovers 4-H Club.
5. Rose Hill Manor Easter Egg Roll - Saturday, March 30, 2013. FCSB members will provide lambs. goats, bunnies and chicks for the kids to pet. A tent and pens are provided.
6. Rose Hill Manor Farm Spring Open House -- Saturday 10 to 4 and Sunday 12 to 4, April 27-28, 2013. FCSB Members will provide ewes and lambs in the bank barn -- with demonstrations.
7. Food Concession Stand -- Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival (MS&WF), May 4-5, 2013. The FCSB's Food Concession stand in partnership with Feedbag Catering (Terrie & Jeff Ferguson), an established vendor at the MS&WF. Located on the Midway Blvd., the main walkway. Great American Lamb sandwiches - pick up lamb recipes - and talk "sheep". Click on "Events" for more information.
8. FCSB sponsors one of the 10 Youth Skillathon events (Sheep Judging) at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival on Sunday, May 6th. Martha Polkey (Black Sheep Farm) assists.
9. Spring Farm Tour - Baalands Farm, Clear Spring, Maryland. Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 1:00 to 4:00 pm. Host: Susan Schoenian - raises Katahdin sheep. Farm is in Washington County. Information in "Events" section.
10. Frederick Farmer's Co-Op Open House - Saturday, June 8, 2013, 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. Discount on feed. Complimentary hotdogs and drinks. FCSB members bring various lamb and kid goat "critters".
11. Annual Summer Picnic - Sunday, June 9, 2013 - 3:00 to 7:00 pm - at Stillpoint Farm. Hosts: Carol McConaughy and Tom Barse. Go to "Events" for details.
12. 4-H Lamb Camp - Saturday, July 13, 2012 - 8 to 5 pm - held at the Frederick County Fairgrounds. Click on "Events" for more information. Registration $50.00 per child.
13. New Event. In-The-Streets Festival, Frederick City, Saturday, September 14, 2013. Volt's Restaurant and Bushwaller's Irish Pub will be featuring lamb provided through a grant from the American Lamb Board. The FCSB will have a booth handing out lamb recipes, sources of lamb, spinning demonstrations, shearing demonstrations, etc. More information is in the "Events" section.
14. 2013 Great Frederick Fair - FCSB sponsors following 4-H and Open Class events: 4-H Fitting & Showing; 4-H Champion Ram and Champion Ewe in each of the 8 breed categories; 4-H Supreme Champion Bred & Owned Ram; and 4-H Supreme Champion Bred & Owned Ewe.
15. FCSB provides the two Open Class Premier Exhibitor Banners (one for a Wool Breeds, one breed flock of 5 -- and one for a Meat Breeds, one breed flock of 5) at the Great Frederick Fair. Details are in the 2013 Great Frederick Fair catalog. The Premier Exhibitor Award is open to Frederick County Residents -- or Frederick County Sheep Breeder Members.
16. Helps co-sponsor the 4-H Decorated Lamb Contest and Shepherd's Lead Contest at the Great Frederick Fair.
17. Rose Hill Manor Farm Fall Open House -- Saturday, Oct. 5th., 10 to 4 pm, and Sunday, Oct. 6th., 12 to 4 pm. FCSB Members will provide sheep and lambs, with demonstrations.
18. Fall Farm Tour - Flying Goat Farm, Sunday, November 3, 2013 - 1:00 to 4:00 pm. Hosts: Bill & Lisa Check. Click on "Events" for more information.
19. Annual Dinner and Social at the Cozy Inn, in Thurmont, Thursday, November 7, 2013. Evening begins with the Meet & Greet Social at 5:30 pm; Buffet Dinner at 6:15 pm; followed by the Program, with Dahl Drenning as the MC; the Shepherd of the Year Award is presented by Emily Chamelin, FCSB Vice President; plus comedy entertainment by "Two Nuts and a Bolt"; and wrapping up the evening with the Door Prizes. Great fellowship and food. Click on "Events" for more information.
2013 Shearing School Assistance: The FCSB provides Beginning and Advanced Shearing School scholarships. FCSB fund will pay the registration cost through the Pete Creamer Memorial Shearing Scholarship Fund, established by Sylvia Creamer. Contact Ellen Nicodemus, FCSB, to apply.
To Join: Click on "Join" and contact Dawn Richardson, Treasurer. Membership includes listing your farm, your products, your photos, and your website on the FCSB website. Website is linked to a other websites, such as the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival website, the Sheep & Goat Update, the United Suffolk Sheep Association website, the Frederick County Virtual Farmers Market, the Maryland Agriculture.Info website, Maryland's Best website, and the Rural Ads.com website.
Membership is open to everyone! You don't have to live in Frederick County. Now have members from 5 Maryland counties, and a few members from Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Contact Members: Members have all sizes of flocks, knowledge, and experience -- from a few sheep to about 150 ewes, from just beginning to members with 25+ years experience. Membership provides a way for a new shepherd to learn health care, the lambing process, ewe management, pasture development, feed rations, minerals and nutrition, producing high quality fleeces, and marketing techniques from others -- and for all members to share their knowledge and experiences with each other.
Yahoo Chat Group: Fellow shepherds who raise sheep, lambs and goats. If interested in the FCSB Chat Group, contact Robert Smyth (Sweetwater Farm) -- click on the "Members" page, scroll down to Sweetwater Farm, and Robert Smyth's e-mail and phone number are listed.
"Links" Section: Extensive Listings - great lamb recipes. Check it out. We welcome your input for additional resources. Send us an e-mail.
Enjoy the Website. Review upcoming and past Events; Photos of Members farms.