The 5 Freedoms
The Five Freedoms of animal welfare were compiled by the Farm animal welfare committee of the UK Farm Animal Welfare Council in 1979
(https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121010012427/http://www.fawc.org.uk/freedoms.htm). They were designed to apply to all animals that live under human control, including those living in zoos, as pets, on farms, circuses, race tracks etc. They have since been adopted by other organizations around the world, and we, the Board of FCSB have incorporated them as a guide to our members ……..
The Five Freedoms are
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst – by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort – by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease – by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress – by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
The Five Freedoms have become part of standard operating procedures and recommendations by the following organizations:
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) & Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA/ACMV) & Federation of Veterinarians of Europe (FVE) https://www.fve.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/003-AVMA-CVMA-FVE-statement-on-animal-welfare.pdf
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals https://www.aspcapro.org/sites/default/files/ASPCA_5Freedoms_Vertical1_0.pdf
- the European Code of veterinary practice https://web.archive.org/web/20160304065817/http://www.fve.org/news/publications/pdf/gvp.pdf
- the recommendations of the World Organization of Animal Health https://web.archive.org/web/20110805111504/http://www.oie.int/fileadmin/Home/eng/Health_standards/tahc/2010/en_chapitre_1.7.1.htm
- The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Great Britain) https://web.archive.org/web/20160303235030/http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232720717749&mode=prd
- American Humane Society https://www.americanhumane.org/blog/five-freedoms-the-gold-standard-of-animal-welfare/
- And many others