Vorac, Peter & Kelly
5814 Broad Run Road
Jefferson, MD 21755
Phone: Peter: 301-371-4111 --- Kelly's cell: 240-446-0996
Email: Peter: firstname.lastname@example.org --- Kelly: email@example.com
The farm was settled in 1813, and named Castle Hill Farm by the DeWalt Willard family. DeWalt Willard was a Circuit Court judge in Frederick. The farm is located in the beautiful Middletown Valley, south of Middletown and north of Burkittsville, MD. We are the 4th. owners from the original land grant.
We are a working farm, with sheep, lambs, barn owls, bee hives, a fish pond, a variety of hay crops, soil conservation practices, fences that need fixing, and way too many deer.
Photo ↑↑: Jessica Hardy, Anne Arundel County 4-H’er, showing her Vorac Ewe 1024 “Snookie”. Ewe 1024 was the Champion Suffolk Ewe, and Reserve Supreme Champion Ewe over all other breeds, as a yearling, at the 2011 Southern Maryland Invitational Livestock Expo (SMILE Show). “Snookie” also won other County Fair shows.
Ewe 1024 is a brood ewe in the Vorac flock, and lambed on March 9, 2015 with her fourth set of lambs. Three of ewe 1024’s prior ewe lambs are now brood ewes in our flock — and her 2014 yearling ewe lamb is in the replacement ewe flock. Watch for her 6th set of lambs in 2017.
Our Border Collies. Our farm is managed by border collies Frisk and Mia; plus Shelby (a rescue dog), our newest border collie. Their jobs include watching over the flock and young lambs; letting us know when a lamb is being born; helping out at feeding time; watching open gates, so sheep don’t get out; keeping uninvited strangers in their trucks; and being the shepherd’s companion during the day.
Products and Services Provided.
1. We provide Custom-Processed Lamb Meat (also called Freezer lamb). Our lambs are both grass-fed and grain-fed — they have a better flavor than just grass-fed lambs.
We sell whole or half custom-processed, vacuum packed, and labeled freezer lamb. Our lambs are both grass-fed and grain-fed. Lambs are sold by the live weight, plus the butcher shop processing cost. We may have a few in-tact male lambs for ethnic groups. All our lambs are sold by the time they’re 10-11 months old.
Hemp’s Meats: 3740 Jefferson Pike, Jefferson, MD 21755. Hemp’s does all our regular custom-processed lamb. We bring your lamb to the butcher, after aging, cutting, and packaging — the customer picks up their packaged lamb meat. Hemp’s Phone: 301-473-5700. Website: www.hempsmeat.com
On-Farm Processing: We refer customers who want to slaughter their own sheep or goats — to two farms that have on-farm processing facilities — Westminster, MD and Lovettsville, VA. We do not have the facilities for on-farm processing.
Old Line Meats: 1600 S. Monroe Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. (just off I-295 and I-95, Baltimore). Use Map Quest for directions. Phone: 410-962-5530. Website: www.oldlinemeats.com
2. Registered Breeding Stock. For the 2017 lambing season. Began breeding in late August – bred 50 registered Suffolk Ewes and Suffolk/Hampshire cross-bred Ewes that lambed from early February to early March, 2016. 6 Stud rams ↓↓ used for 2017 lambs are:
a. MacCauley Ram Lamb 3052 RR. 2014 son the Champion, Slick Sheared Suffolk Ram at the 2013 NAILE Show (North American Invitational Livestock Expo), held in Louisville, Kentucky.
b. Vorac Ram 1446 RR/NN. A very thick, solid 2014 ram lamb, with the best growth, loin, and thickness of all our 2014 ram lambs. At 5 months old, Ram Lamb 1446 weighed 192 lbs. As a late junior ram lamb — 1446 was the Reserve Champion Suffolk Ram at the 2014 Great Frederick Fair, as a ram lamb.
c. Vorac 1538 RR/NN. Our best 2015 ram lamb. Was the Champion Suffolk Ram at the 2015 Great Frederick Fair, as a ram lamb.
d. Miller Hampshire Ram 5103 QR/AA/NN “Topnotch”. Kelly purchased this 2015 Miller Ram (out of Texas) at the 2015 Midwest Stud Ram Sale, Sedalia, Missouri, June, 2015. Sire is Miller’s “Vintage”. Designed to produce 4-H market (project) lambs.
e. 2016 MacCauley Ram Lamb 3645 RR/NN. 2016 Ram Lamb purchased from Bill MacCauley — was the Champion Suffolk Ram at the 2016 Great Frederick Fair, as an early junior ram lamb.
f. We plan to purchase or lease a ram this summer.
We had two very good 2016 ram lambs at the 2016 PA Ram Test & Sale. Sale date was Saturday, Aug. 6, 2016.
And have two excellent ram lambs on Test this year.
3. 4-H Project Lambs (4-H Club Lambs). Show lambs that are flashy, well-muscled, have style. Are available beginning in March-April. Call early, they go quick.
90% to 95% of the 2015 lamb crop will be RR/NN lambs. Have extensive breeding records and individual ewe lambing records.
We work closely with 4-H’ers and their parents in order for them to have a successful project lamb. We continue with on-going communications and support after the sale.
Photo: Mariam Harper, 4-H’er (left) with her Vorac Ewe Lamb 1140 “Sally”. Mariam won this ewe lamb class in Washington County, and her lamb “Sally”, and went on to win the Suffolk Breed Show at the Great Frederick Fair, as a early junior ewe lamb. Ewe 1140 “Sally” is one of our brood ewes.
4. Helping New Producers and 4-H’ers. We’re happy to help new breeders, 4-H’ers and their parents who have a few project lambs — and new shepherd’s interested in starting a flock. Suffolk lambs make very good 4-H project lambs — for their style, muscling, and showmanship.
5. Ewe Breeding Services. To save you the cost of buying and maintaining a ram — we can provide breeding services for small flocks with just a few ewes. Usually, we use 5-6 rams in our breeding program. For Spring, 2017 lambs, we bred 16 ewes for other flocks.
6. Ram Leasing Services. Available to an experienced shepherd.
7. Sydell Sheep & Goat Equipment Dealer. Sheep and goat handling equipment, pens, gates, feeders, tilt tables, etc. Website: http://www.sydell.com/
8. Consultation Services on raising sheep and lambs — and also on building and repairing barns, loafing sheds, machine sheds, etc.
9. Visitors are always welcomed. Bring your camera, questions, and curiosity — let’s talk sheep, lambs, breeding stock, sheep equipment, our barn improvements, rotational grazing, and the upcoming shows.